Thursday, December 27, 2007

la paz to la poza grande


In the morning we make coffee pack up and get back to la paz. The plan is to maybe meet paige at the café we were yesterday. We will wait form 11 to 1130 and if she is not there we will meet in loreto at 5 the next day.



The café is closed so we hang out in front and I get a couple of fish tacos for breakfast from a stand closeby. 15 pesos a piece and they are So Good of course. Any opportunity I get I eat fish even foe breakfast and alex finds herself a quesadilla con hongos. Paige isn't coming so we check out the map and figure out where we want to end up tonight.



I am not looking forward to the stretch of road before us. Between la paz and ciudad insurgentes its straight and boring and the wind is still blowing hard. We are tired by the time we get there. You wouldn't think that sitting on a motorcycle going straight makes you tired but it does.



We hit the internet café to download and get supplies for tonights dinner. We have the choice of two mini supers that carry pretty much the exact ame thing, except for one has an emenada with oineapple which serves as a snack.



Instead of staying on hwy 1 we go straight north to la poza grande where we hope to get to the ocean. We drive through town and basically drive through the dump which is basura all in the kaktus dunes. Somebody explained to us that this is because the people are poor and there is no good program to take care of the garbage. Alex point out that before the plague of plastic the garbage was all compostable and people just haven't changed their ways. I'm glad I get to pay taxes and the garbage company to take care of that. Viva taxes! Beats lliving with nall that garbage.



Its really fun for me to cruise the sandwashes. After a while we realize though that the dunes are endless and that we are still far from the water. I go a little faster to scout it out but when I can't see alex anymore I turn around and find her bike on its side and her with a sire ankle but otherwise ok. This spot seems as good in the ever repeating desert, so we decide that this is now our campspot for the night. Its still really cool in the midst of all the kaktus.



Putting up the tent it becomes immediately covered with those orblike thorny things that stick to even the smoothest surfaces. It's a pain to get them all off the tent before we put it up and we almost have to put on gloves. Thorns are painful! Still, I'm amazed yet again at how inventive nature is in preserving species and spreading seeds that sticks to EVERYTHING, even our tent. Hopefully we won't import them to San Francisco...The desert is beautiful but somewhat hostile to us, so I don't need that in SF.



We make a somewhat bland noodle dish and fall asleep. I'm freezing in my 0 degree sleeping bag and curse it all night for being a piece of crap until I wake up in the morning realizing that the evaporated water droplets in the tent are frozen. No wonder! Brrr! I guess next time I go to Mexico I will need a subzero sleeping bag. Or maybe I go to Alaska instead...



I position myself with my wings spread in the sun on top of a cactus like I have seen the desert birds do and within a half hour its tshirt weather again.

No comments: