Sunday, December 16, 2007


This blog came from the palm pilot, so no capital letters etc, because it just takes too ling and I need some sleep.

Saturday the 15th. Shower coffee pack. This morning we departed from Tonis place after wiping the frost of the seats wondering if the people that told us we were crazy might have had a point.

Then we returned the Uhaul
And got on the road. Finally. I had fun the
last few days but boy did it feel good to have a motorcycle under me and get on with it!

Any anxiety l had
Just
Fell. Right off me like a
Bad
Dream.
Distant
Memory by now.


Driving through the sonoran desert helped too.

So toni accompanied us to bisbee in jeans. Its the middle of the winter even on arizona and he looked really cold. jeans and summer gloves. We did a little tour around bisbee which is a really cute town that used to live from coppper before the mines closed and is now a mix of locals and people from san francisco and seattle and snow birds nestled into the hills that reminded me a little bit of italy.

We had lunch at the prickly pear cafe and then toni went back and we went to the border. The only exciting thing at the border crossing was me and paige fighting over where to get the vehicle permit now or 30 miles down the road. Since I just wanted to get the border behind me I wanted to keep going once we passed the border. my paperwork was a little skinny, so I wasn;'t sure if it would work.

We went right through the border and kept going. But after a few blocks we tried to turn back to get the permit now after all and proceeded to get a little lost and paige almost turned down a one way street much to the amusement of herself and the locals. She busted up laughing so loud I could hear it over her loud pipes .

It did take about an hour to get the tourist visa and the vehicle import permit. And this was the last point of stress for me since I didn't have a title in my name just a registration in my name and in paiges.

You can't take a borrowed vehicle over the border and supposedly you need registration and proof of ownership which the dmv couldn't give us. But it all worked out ok and we got on highway 2 to nuevas casas grandes. Beautiful sonoran desert. Over some hills with incredible views of subtle yellow green and purple desert.

It did turn dark on us though which was really scary since you can't spot the potholes and animals anymore in the street. And it got cold. Brrr. Really cold. Heated vest on high. When we found a cute hotel hotel pinos there were frozen puddles. We unpacked warmed up a bit with the heater cranked and then went to find some food.

Alex wanted to sit down but on our way to finding a restaurant there were just too many little stands to pass by and we got something paige describes as mexican cream of corn minus the cream. Corn mixed with lime chili butter and cojito cheese. So good! So good that we had to have another one at the next stand. That one tasted differente but equally So Good.

We asked the second corn lady for a restaurant and she pointed us titos marisco where we managed to get a vegetarian meal for alex of rice with vegetables beans and guacamole. They were very sweet and you could tell that they whipped it up just for us and that they didn't do this very often. Since I was already filled up with the corn I ordered a 30 peso small sopa de marisco and got served something that would have easily been a $15 dish in san francisco.

I'm so full now I feel like I don't have to eat for three days now. Usually I loose weight whenever I travel but at this rate you might have to roll me back over the border...

No comments: