Monday, December 10, 2007

Things change



So here you see the old ride on the top and the new ride underneath.

As in: the bike that got booted from the ride, and the new one that will carry me through Mexico.

Staying is silver, riding is green.

WHAT HAPPENED?

Well, the oil light lit up on the KTM. That means: water pump is bad again. I went to the KTM dealership, and they looked at the cover to tell me that the bearing surfaces are totally chewed up, and that I need a new cover. Argh! So I express ordered it, and it will be here tomorrow.

That was this weekend.

I talked to a lot of people since, since by now I have lost some confidence in the reliability of that particular KTM. I guess this was the one bad years.

The gist: I can fix it and get it back on the road, but I'm running out of time to give a good shake down run regarding the water pump. Plus the crank might have gotten damaged, so I might break down in Mexico again, and I really, really, REALLY don't want that.

I want to ride, ride, ride and talk to the locals about something else but the best way to get parts to their remote village and who has a trucke to get me back to the border.

So. I'm taking Zach Boger's KLR. He is Paige's brother, one of my traveling companions. Thank you so much Zach for providing me with a worry free vacation, I owe you big.

The bike is getting prepped right now in my shop. Thankfully I have good mechanics. Daniel, one of the technicians in the shop, is doing a tune up, tires, chain, sprockets, brakes. I'd do it myself but need to get everything wrapped up before I leave.

Ironic really, since I started preparing for this trip a long time ago, only to find myself worrying last minute if I'll get it done.

Anyway, that's how it goes. All parts are ordered, will be here today or Wednesday, just in time to pack up and go.

So we are really right on schedule here. Leaving Thursday afternoon. It's just a little SNAFU, you know. And much better than if that would have happened in Mexico. Absolutely in the realm of fixable. So I fix.

2 comments:

Vincent Leddy said...

Hope you girls have a safe and fun trip. Ladonna should join you next edition on her Transalp.

Vincent

Jennifer Werkstatt said...

She got my number!